2022 BMW X1 is a compact luxury SUV that offers a fun-to-drive experience and some impressive technology features. It comes standard with a turbocharged 2,0-liter four-cylinder engine that produces 228 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque, paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission and standard front-wheel drive, All-wheel drive is, also available.
The X1 offers a spacious and upscale cabin, with supportive seats and some advanced safety features. The infotainment system is a highlight, with a large 8,8-inch touchscreen display & support for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Some of the available features include a panoramic sunroof, a premium audio system, and a head-up display. However, the X1 is not the most spacious or efficient SUV in its class, and the ride quality is somewhat firm.
Transmission and Performance
The 2021 BMW X1 was available with an 8-speed automatic transmission. This transmission provided smooth and responsive shifts, contributing to the X1’s dynamic performance.
In terms of performance, the 2021 BMW X1 offered a turbocharged 2,0-liter four cylinder engine. The power output varied depending on the specific variant and trim level. For instance, the base sDrive28i and xDrive28i models produced 228 horsepower, while the more powerful M35i variant produced 301 horsepower. The torque output also varied accordingly.
The BMW X1’s performance was characterized by its nimble handling and sporty driving dynamics. It featured BMW’s xDrive all-wheel drive system, which provided enhanced traction and stability in various driving conditions.
Interior, Comfort, and Cargo
The 2021 BMW X1 offered a comfortable and upscale interior with high-quality materials and a modern design. It featured seating for five passengers, with supportive and well-bolstered front seats that provided a good driving position. The rear seats could be folded in a 40/20/40 split, allowing for versatile cargo configurations.
In terms of comfort, the X1 came with standard features such as dual-zone automatic climate control, power-adjustable front seats, and available features like heated front seats, a heated steering wheel, and leather upholstery. The cabin was designed to minimize road and wind noise, providing a relatively quiet and serene driving experience.
As for cargo capacity, the 2021 BMW X1 offered a decent amount of space for its class. With the rear seats in place, it provided around 27.1 cubic feet of cargo space. Folding down the rear seats expanded the cargo area to approximately 58.7 cubic feet, allowing for larger items to be accommodated.
What are the new features of the 2022 BMW X1
Some potential areas where BMW might introduce new features for the 2022 X1 could include:
- Technology: BMW may update the infotainment system, offering a larger touchscreen display, improved user interface, and enhanced connectivity options. They might also introduce new driver assistance features and safety technologies.
- Interior Comfort: The 2022 X1 could offer upgraded interior materials, additional seating options, and improved seat comfort. BMW may also introduce new interior trim options and ambient lighting choices.
- Exterior Design: The 2022 X1 might showcase some design updates, such as revised front and rear styling, new LED lighting configurations, and updated wheel designs.
- Performance: BMW could introduce new engine options or refine the existing powertrain to enhance performance and fuel efficiency. They might also focus on improving driving dynamics and handling characteristics.
What are the different trims available for the 2022 BMW X1
For the 2021 model year, the BMW X1 was available in two main trim levels:
- sDrive28i: This trim level featured front-wheel drive (sDrive) and came equipped with a turbocharged 2,0-liter four cylinder eng producing 228 horsepower. It offered standard features such as SensaTec synthetic leather upholstery, power-adjustable front seats, a 6.5-inch infotainment display, and a range of safety features.
- xDrive28i: This trim level offered BMW’s xDrive all-wheel drive system. It shared many features with the sDrive28i but provided enhanced traction and stability in various driving conditions.
In addition to the base trims, BMW also introduced a performance-oriented variant for the 2021 X1:
- M35i: The M35i trim featured a more powerful turbocharged 2,0-liter fourcylinder engine producing 301 horsepower. It boasted sportier styling cues, a sport-tuned suspension, and various performance upgrades.
What is the starting price of the 2022 BMW X1
For the 2021 model year, the base sDrive28i trim of the BMW X1 had a starting price of around $35,400 in the United States. The xDrive28i trim, which included BMW’s xDrive all-wheel drive system, had a slightly higher starting price.
It’s important to note that pricing can vary based on factors such as optional features, additional packages, region-specific pricing, and any updates or changes introduced for the 2022 model year.
Please note that the following specifications are based on the 2021 BMW X1 and may not directly apply to the 2022 model:
- Engine: The 2021 BMW X1 featured a turbocharged 2,0-liter fourcylinder engine.
- Base sDrive28i and xDrive28i trims: 228 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque.
- Performance-oriented M35i trim: 301 horsepower and 331 lb-ft of torque.
- Transmission: An 8-speed automatic transmission was standard across all trims.
- Drivetrain: The sDrive28i trim had front-wheel drive, while the xDrive28i and M35i trims came with BMW’s xDrive all-wheel drive system.
- Fuel Efficiency: The fuel efficiency of the 2021 BMW X1 varied based on the drivetrain and engine configuration.
- sDrive28i: EPA-estimated 24 mpg city and 33 mpg highway.
- xDrive28i: EPA-estimated 23 mpg city and 31 mpg highway.
M35i: EPA-estimated 23 mpg city and 30 mpg highway.
Dimensions: The 2021 BMW X1 had the following approximate dimensions:
- Length: 175.5 inches
- Width: 71.7 inches
- Height: 62.9 inches
- Wheelbase: 105.1 inches